Tuesday, July 2, 2019

GOOGLE ASSISTANT ASSISTS TEACHERS IN SPEAKING SKILLS (PL6)

Assalammualaikum and hi teachers.

Have you heard about Google Assistant? (GA)

No?


 It is developed by Google in May 2016. People use GA to search things by speaking. GA is also friendly, so you can have a chat with her too.

Recently, I applied Google Assistant in my class, to assess pupils' speaking skills for performance level 6.

As I only taught Year 1 classes, I did not expect pupils to speak fluent with (GA). I predict pupils will be able to use the target languages and if pupils are advanced, they will add their own questions hopefully. Up until end of June, my pupils already learnt three topics, Friends, At School and Let's Play.

Before I explain how to use GA in the class, let us read the descriptor for performance level 6.


Based on the descriptors, I am pointing out the point no 2, where pupils ask and answer straight forward questions using fixed phrases with ease and great confidence.

I'm looking for pupils with ease and great confidence in speaking English.

First, I show them how GA works. Therefore, I am using my own smart phone, OPPO F7.

One candidate  for PL6 will ask any questions they know after hitting the mic icon. During this activity, other pupils were coming to see how it works (although they were doing other worksheet, curiosity!! hehehehe)

Surprisingly, three pupils that I tested were able to ask questions with ease and great confidence.

 I guess they will start hunting for their mum's hp just to talk with GA..hihihihi..

How amazing technologies nowadays. Love it!


Below is the screenshot of the conversation with GA. Simple questions as what they had learnt in the class. If they use their own questions, it's a bonus.
Bonus. 



'who is your father' question. I did not predict it will be asked.


Pupils had to speak clearly so that GA understood the language. Sometimes she miss interpret the questions asked.

What do you think? Is it an effective way to assess pupils speaking skills beside communication with their classmates? For me, it is an alternative and fun too.

If you are interested to apply for your pupils, you can follow the steps:

1. Press the home screen for 3 seconds until the GA icon come out. (the circle button) Watch the video below.



2. Hit the mic icon to speak up.


If you are bored or need information ASAP, just call the GA.


Regards,






No comments:

Post a Comment